it appears a co-operative without shares is a type of corporation that can be incorporated provincially or federally. Once incorporated, you apply for not-for-profit status(?), then apply to become a charity for tax purposes.
Here's a document about becoming a not-for-profit int Ontario: https://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.ca/english/family/pgt/nfpinc/Not_for_Profit_Incorporators_Handbook_EN.html
- need 5 people minimum to form a non-worker co-op
- need 3 people minimum to be directors
Here's another document for making a co-operative without share captial: https://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/en/coops/Documents/inc_without_share_capital.pdf
- *** this looks like the document that has ALL the info!! ***
- Cost should be $155 (to incorporate a non-profit co-operative) + $15 (to reserve the name) + $89.27 (NUANS search)
- after you get approved you have to fill out ontario form 007-07200 within 60 days: http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/ssb/forms/ssbforms.nsf/GetFileAttach/007-07200~1/$File/07200E.pdf
- what is a director??
1 General Info
- Here's info on forming a not-for-profit organization in ontario: https://www.ontario.ca/page/incorporating-not-profit-corporation
2 Liability & Waivers
Q: What happens if a member injures themselves ?
- will need to have a waiver agreement and legal answer that one.
3 Acts of Parliament
- Here is how to decode the RSO, c. xx, etc. of legal statutes: http://guides.library.queensu.ca/legal-citation/statutes
- The Ontario Co-operative Corporations act: https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90c35
4 NUANS Searching
see also: Wikipedia:NUANS
Might be helpful: https://canadabusiness.ca/programs/nuans-corporate-name-search-1/
- Once you do a search, you have 90 days to file
- This seems to be a list of people you can contact about how to NUANS search (for free?):
Here's a summary of the Canadian Co-operatives act: http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-1.7/page-2.html#h-4
of note under "Purposes of this act":
Non-application of certain Acts (4) No provision of the Canada Business Corporations Act, the Canada Not-for-profit Corporations Act or the Winding-up and Restructuring Act applies to a cooperative.
- Information on how to do a NUANS search and/or become a member: https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/075.nsf/eng/home
- To become a NUANS member, call 1-888-385-8647
- Here's a link to some ontario NUANS searching info: https://www.ontario.ca/page/public-record-search
- NUANS searching appears to be handled by The Central Production and Verification Services Branch
Ministry of Government and Consumer Services Central Production and Verification Services Branch 393 University Avenue, Suite 200 Toronto, ON M5G 2M2
- how to become a NUANS search provider???
- check this service provider https://www.oncorp.com/oncorphome/pages/view-all-products.aspx
- Here's a cheap name search website:
- Here's another guy that might be able to do name searches in windsor for $45 apparently. Website prices: https://www.telesearch.ca/price-list
Telesearch Information Service Contact: Ronald Leopold Windsor, ON Tel: 519-735-0538 Fax: 519-979-1010 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org